Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mi Barrio (My Neighborhood)



Thomas and I lucked out.  We were able to find a room for rent in an apartment in my favorite part of the city called Caballito (translated it means "little horse).  Caballito is about a thirty minute bus ride from the center of Buenos Aires.  If Buenos Aires were New York City, living in Caballito would be like living in Brooklyn.  It's a busy area, but you don't see very many tourists in these parts.  There are coffee shops and parks and magnificent tree-lined streets.  Its a nice area to live.  For $400 a month Thomas and I live in a two bedroom apartment with a an orange cat and an older male flat mate who is hardly ever home.  The bathroom is a tenth the size of my old one, and there isn't air conditioning, but we like it.  For now, it's home. 
Taking a reading break...

Photos I took around Caballito:
Outdoor Book Shop

The Argentine people love books and they have one of the highest literacy rates in the world.  It is very common to see these outdoor book shops selling everything from musty classics to kids picture books.

Books for Sale

Argentine Youth
I got lucky when I snapped this picture.  With the reverse seasons (we are very far South) kids here are on summer break until March.  This was taken at a park near our apartment called Parque Rivadavia.  From experience, I would have to say that Argentina has some very awesome young people.  Most are very friendly, speak some English, are eager to chat, and are very globally aware. I spotted this group of youngsters hanging out in the park and pointed my camera to take a picture, spotting my intentions one of the kids decided to strike a pose.

My Husband Thomas the Photographer

This is my husband and best friend Thomas.  He takes amazing pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment