Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Dirty Truth about Teaching ESL in Buenos Aires


Teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) is really one of the only jobs available to English speaking expats living in Buenos Aires.  I’ve heard that jobs in the tourism and restaurant industry exist, but the easiest jobs to find are teaching English is schools and private institutes.  So what is teaching English like down here in the Paris of the South?  To be honest it’s pretty unglamorous and a bit frustrating.  English schools often times experience a high English teacher turnover rat.   The main reason being that the pay is squat, teachers make anywhere from $8-$11 USD an hour.  The hours are low.  Students are usually only interested in taking English classes in the morning, late afternoons and evenings, which often means you only have 10-20 hours of work a week.  Full time employment is virtually non-existent, as is the possibility of making decent money.  The third thing that factor is travel time.  A twenty hour work week can end up being a thirty hour work week due to travel time if your classes are located in different parts of the city, and while Buenos Aires does have a subway and bus system, there are often strikes which lead to subway closures and overcrowded buses.  Basically, you earn enough money to pay your rent, eat and buy yourself an occasional treat.  So is it worth it?  Well, it really depends on what a person hopes to gain from their experience in Buenos Aires. 

I am no stranger to this city or unfamiliar with the bureaucracy that exists. I lived for a semester in Buenos Aires back in 2004 and traveled back and forth on several other occasions.  This however was back when things were much less expensive and before inflation had caused the prices of food to rise astronomically, but when my husband Thomas and I decided to come to Buenos Aires it was not to make our fortune.  My personal goal was to improve my Spanish and gain some valuable teaching experience.  My husband Thomas, who lugged what felt like 50 lbs of camera equipment, came with the goal of taking some fantastic photographs.  A couple weeks in, and I discovered I too enjoy taking pictures, and together we have enjoyed documenting life in Buenos Aires.  Even though we both work for peanuts, the opportunity to experience big city life has been totally worth it.  This however may not be the case for all expats who decide to embark on an adventure down south. I chatted with an American ESL teacher on the subway a few weeks ago.  She had been teaching in Korea and before that Japan.  She had only been in Buenos Aires a couple of weeks but expressed the desire to leave as soon as she was able to secure a position abroad somewhere else.   “Teaching English here is nothing like teaching English is Korea and Japan…they pay you nothing here, and I find that schools here exists by taking advantage of teachers…I don’t know how you can stand it here,” she said to me.  I sort of responded with a shrug and I told her it’s not for everyone I guess, and that is my advice for anyone who is interesting in coming here to work and live.  Decide what your goals are and if making money is one of them…then you might need to reconsider Buenos Aires as your destination.  However, if you are interested in learning Spanish, eating some wonderful cuisine, making friends with some amazingly hospitable people and experience adventure in a face paced city, then come on down…the water really ain’t that bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment