Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Kiss...



"The Love Birds" My friend Gisela and her boyfriend Facundo 

Greetings differ in different parts of the world.  There is the handshake, the bow, the fist bump.  If you come to Argentina, it’s the kiss.  Yes, we kiss a lot down here.  It doesn’t matter if you are meeting someone for the first time, saying hello to a good friend or saying good morning to a coworker.  The standard salutation is a quick kiss on the cheek.  The kiss is also has no gender limits.  Woman/woman, man/man, man/woman, adult/child.  It is just how they do it down here.  I think some foreigners might be a little taken aback by the kiss, but I can honestly say, it doesn’t take people long to warm up to the idea.  I think what I have enjoyed most about this Argentine custom is the fact that I was allowed to kiss my students goodbye at the end of the day.  I’m an affectionate person, I love to dote on my students and little kids are cuddle bugs.  Back in the US kissing students is a no-no, you don’t do it, and you might even be pushing it with a hug.  I remember one time at the end of the year, pecking one of my third graders (whom I adored) on the forehead.  His little face lit up and my stomach did a flip flop thinking, “Crap, I shouldn’t have done that, what if he tells his mom?”  Here however, I was delighted to see that not only did parents and teachers kiss on the cheek when saying hello, but we were allowed to hug and kiss our students when saying hello and goodbye.  It was wonderful.  So all in all, if you come down here for a visit, don’t be shy, and if you’re a guy, yes there is a chance another guy might lean in for a smooch, just remember an open mind is the best mind.

2 comments:

  1. Love you post! I think America must be one of he most hipocritically prude nations on the planet. I'm also a person with a very thin personal bubble, therefore I also love hugs and smooches! I'm happy to say that I've found my home in Italy, where smooching is also the norm when greeting anyone hello or goodbye. I think I may push it even here, though, because I always include a type of hug or shoulder squeeze when going in for the cheek-to-cheek, Hehe...
    In Argentina do you kiss just one cheek or both, and if both, is theres one side you go for first to avoid a collision? I've noticed in Italy you go for the right cheek first, so in Spain I had a couple of crash landings since they go foe the left side first! something good to learn before visiting a new country, I've learned ...
    anyway, here's to happy smooching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, yes, are are pretty prude in the US...left over from the Puritans I guess ha ha. We generally kiss on just one cheek and I haven't noticed there being a preferred side, and yes, I have experienced some cheek collisions because of this.

    ReplyDelete